Monday, September 3, 2012

Hand Quilting

I've been working on hand quilting this quilt I've named "Bloomin' Flowers".  This was from a BOM at Hancock Fabrics a long time ago.  I had planned to enter it in the Pine Belt Quilter's Fiber Art Quilt show in October but due to the finger surgery, I had to make the decision that I was not going to be able to get it finished in time.


Then today Bonnie Hunter mentioned on her blog that she was going to start hand quilting one hour a day and asked if anyone wanted to commit to join her.  Since I'm already quilting, I decided, why not?  It'll be fun to see how much everyone gets done from week to week.  She's letting us link up to her blog post starting today (Monday) and we'll check in with our progress each week.
I have my frame set up in the living room and usually quilt in the evenings while watching TV.  (Mostly watching the Atlanta Braves)  You can't see it very well in this picture but I have a TV tray to the left of the quilt frame with my thread, scissors, thimbles, TV remote, cell phone, water...all the essentials.

I'm echo quilting each of the flowers.  I have finished 4 blocks so far:
Dogwood

Iris (it wouldn't rotate for me)

Hydrangea
Poppy

Check back again next Monday and hopefully I'll have at least one more block finished.  This is not going to be a good week for me because I have to work Tues thru Friday so it won't leave much time for quilting. 

9 comments:

  1. Awesome echo quilting! Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I can't believe how closely you're echoing! That quilting is stunning! How will you quilt the alternate blocks?
    Nan in KS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Originally I was going to machine quilt the alternate blocks in a large X thru the pink squares and thru the center. But since I'm not trying to finish by a certain date, I'm now thinking of also hand quilting them too. Any suggestions?

      Delete
  3. I second Nan's oh my goodness with the closeness of the echoing! That looks Wonderful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilting is wonderful. I love seeing what you are doing. Deep down in, I hope you make the PBQ deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this quilt as a Sample at our Local Hancock Fabrics store. I had two sets of Blocks so I made one with a straight setting. I machine quilted mine. I have way too many UFO's to Hand Quilt a Big One. I'll just cheer you on!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hand quilting is beautiful! I think I would hand quilt all the blocks to keep the look and the value consistant. Fabulous quilt, Judy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing hand quilting...and I love your floor stand!

    ReplyDelete